Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Status: Productivity Streak

I'm back and working on the module in full swing again, after a couple of weeks (mostly) away due to work. But since returning to the module in full force, things have been quite productive! I've finished off four more areas, and have mostly completed four quests, added in a handful of items and creatures, and done some general all-round improvements. My progress tracking tells me that I'm approximately 60% complete, which means I'm (almost) hitting the home stretch.

To celebrate returning to the working on Fate of a City again, I decided to make a little teaser trailer for everyone out there, just to give you a bit more of a feel for the atmosphere and appeal of Darthall. So, here it is!



You can also hear snippets from three music tracks that I've produced, which may yet make it into Fate of a City. Which is why I'm asking in my latest poll, would you like custom music in Fate of a City? This is steering away from my original "no hak pak" policy that I'd established when I first envisaged the module, but from what I've seen on the forums, people are somewhat tired of the default music that comes with the game, and also have no issues in using hak paks. I'm here to please and entertain, so let me know your opinion!

8 comments:

Wyrin said...

nice trailer! sounds like things progressing well!

on the music issue - I like it, but feel it's added icing. I'm happy with the set music - especially the MotB tracks, but some new stuff can be a nice touch - but yours sounds pretty cool

Zach Holbrook said...

Yay custom music!

EC said...

All the NPCs you've placed in the areas really make them come alive. Nice job.

An appropriate musical selection can really contribute to the athmosphere of the mod, in the same way as it can contribute to scenes in a movie. I'm all for that. Bringing in custom/non-standard music also adds a novel element which can help a mod stand-out.

Elf des coquillages said...

Well, music is a nice addition to a mod (but then I'm a little biased). One that can help further cement a mood, enhance a game experience as a whole, and give the mod some extra oomph. So yup, if you can, go for it.

And all the more as I like what I'm hearing.

AmstradHero said...

Thanks for the encouragement all! It's great to get feedback, both good and bad - though obviously I prefer the good! :-)

I've got some ideas for a few additional tracks, so hopefully I'll have a healthy handful of new tunes when release date comes around!

Ferris GTI said...

It's looking great! It's nice to finally see the game in motion, rather than just screenshots. I really like the tune that starts at 1:30- very catchy, and it sounds professional too :)

Anonymous said...

May I ask what programms you used to create your music? - They are all of superb quality.

AmstradHero said...

ajk - Thank you for the praise! As to how I create the tracks, it's a multi-step process.

First, I use Cakewalk to record the tracks as I play them using a MIDI keyboard. This involves numerous takes as I layer additional instruments and fragments of the tune over each other in order to make the final composition.

When the tune is complete, I then record the MIDI track being played by the computer to get it into wav format. Once it's in this form, I re-record it again, this time using a custom digital sound processing setting that I've created as an EAX effect using my Audigy sound card, which adds extra reverb, chorusing and echo.