Monday, March 3, 2008

Status Update 3-Mar: Gamestyle defined

A new month has dawned and everything is progressing well. Things would have been going more smoothly had I not had a six hour interruption thanks to a cut above my eyebrow that required stitches, but I guess these are the little setbacks we have to expect in life.

However, it seems that I will have to take a partial break from the development due to other commitments that have cropped up recently. Believe me, this is very frustrating for me, but I don't want to rush things and release something half-baked. I'm aiming to give everyone an enjoyable module with replay value, so it will take time.

Regardless, I won't leave without saying a few more things about the module. I'd like to give people a feel for the kind of gameplay and environment that I'll deliver once it is finished.
  • Alignment is a major part of your interactions within the module, and your alignment will change according to your actions, starting from very early in the module. This covers both good/evil and law/chaos decisions, and of course, there may be times when having a particular alignment may be helpful or harmful.

  • Using Codepoetz's PowerBar, I did a word count on the module, which stands at 29846 words, 26028 of which belong to conversations. Now, as I say this, I have only implemented four of the fourteen quests that are present in the module, and companion conversations have not been started either. Of course, you're not guaranteed to see all of these lines of dialog in a single game, in fact, you can be certain that you won't.

  • Expect your companions to have opinions of their own, and what's more, expect them to voice them, even when you don't want to hear about it. Of course, this isn't to say that you can't convince them to change their opinions, but you'll need to earn their respect and friendship in order to do so.

  • While the module is heavily focused on role playing, there still is plenty of fighting and danger to be had. However, not all enemies can be vanquished with a sword, a spell or a bow, and remember that those weapons are nothing without a mind to wield them effectively...

No comments: