Monday, May 5, 2008

Status Update 5-May: Custom Item Descriptions

Today's update marks a milestone in the development of 'Fate of a City', namely that the total word count (courtesy of the PowerBar plugin) is 50,000 words! While this may be an arbitrary milestone, it's still nice to have reached. Of course, there's still much more to come, for I've still got a substantial number of conversations left to write... in addition to the rest of the work that still remains. I've started working on adding more depth to the party companions, focussing on the specific conversations you can hold with them as opposed to the interjections that I've been including along the way so far. I've also added a few more areas to the city, and a few merchants that are there to cater for specific item needs.

In other exciting news, I did an audition for Melirinda for a mod she's working on to voice Saemon Havarian - a swashbuckling pirate that you may remember if you played Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows Of Amn. I was lucky enough to have Melirinda pick me to do the voice acting for this fun character, and I'm looking forward to recording the many lines she's already sent me... and more to come! You should check out Melirinda's previous submissions to the nwvault, they're all of a very high quality.

Now, for a little more of a spoiler about some of the custom items that I've been working on, I'd like to post the descriptions of a couple of items that you'll be able to find within the city of Darthall. I won't divulge the actual statistics of the items, but I'm sure you can make some guesses based on their descriptions...

-----
Glittering Gloves

Designed for use by novice adventurers, the creation of gloves like these is popular for a first enchanting task. The gloves allow the wearer to cast the spell "Color Spray" without exhausting the mage's own repertoire of spells, which is a great boon for neophyte mages. While the gaudy colour of these gloves may be off-putting, their utility for beginning spellcasters is undeniable.
-----
Brute's Rapier

While rapiers are normally the domain of fine swordsmen or warriors touting finesse over brute strength, this particular weapon is designed for force rather than deft handling. This weapon was created by a former pit warrior turned smith by the name of Kullus, who appreciated the art that could be infused within a weapon like a rapier yet preferred a direct and aggressive fight.

Kullus created this weapon so that its wielder would be able to wield a finely crafted weapon and yet still attack with the same ferocity as someone wielding a larger blade. Unfortunately for Kullus, he never saw the blade in action, for he was killed by its intended buyer.

The balance of the weapon is slightly off, as though it were created for someone with a slightly different shaped hand, and the extra weight it has as a rapier makes it a little unwieldy. This means it lacks the defensive capability that is often a hallmark of rapiers, but more than compensates for this through the additional power it can inflict through its blows, as it seems to batter its foes into submission.
-----

Lastly, I'd love to hear feedback on yesterday's post about triggers and scripting. It may not be a paragon of scripting, but I still find it a useful tool to have in my repertoire, but more importantly, I'm really keen to hear whether people are interested in knowing more little blueprints, scripts or tricks that I use while modding.

No comments: