Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Status: On hold

I'd just thought I'd post a quick update letting people know that Fate of an Empire is on hold for the time being. I'm currently without a computer that can run the toolset, and will likely be that way for some time, as I'm on my way back to Australia.

However, it's likely that development will remain on hold indefinitely. The most significant problem is the scope of the project. In order to follow on from Fate of a City and retain the strong narrative and focus on choice and consequences, the amount of work required to fit into the fairly epic storyline would require a large cohesive development team - or my undivided attention for quite a number of months. Since neither of those options are feasible, I don't see any way it would be finished in any reasonble time period. There are a couple of builders that have offered their support, and I'm keen to work with them, which is why I have an alternative plan in the works.

While this project is currently unnamed, it is planned as an epic level party adventure, perhaps something that a party having finished Storm of Zehir would tackle. It will be far more heavily focused on combat and other gameplay aspects rather than dramatic roleplay, moral choices and consequences. Your party will need to coordinate its attacks and fight strategically in order to succeed against a variety of dangerous and powerful menagerie of enemies. You can also expect the story to be suitably epic, and that your choices may have very far reaching consequences across the planes...

Apologies to those who were awaiting news of FoaE, as I don't like having to shelve it, but I simply don't see it getting finished in a reasonable timeframe, and would rather focus my efforts on projects that I know can be completed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Building something on the scale you want is difficult, I know. I appreciate the effort towards quality you put in: I feel either project would be well suited for development.

Hope you can get back into the swing of things.

Wyrin said...

I know where you are coming from as I had to face that same dilemma myself.

Shame as I had big hopes for FoaE


But the new project sounds interesting in itself - beware the scope creep with that too!

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

I try not to think about how much is really involved before I start. If and when I do, it tends to prevent me from doing anything. ;)

Still, it sounds like you have some interesting projects in mind, which I am sure will be lapped up by interested parties. :)

Lance.