Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A First Look At The City

Hello all, and welcome to the 'Fate Of A City' blog. I'm using this blog to spread a bit of information and some status updates on my forthcoming single player module for Neverwinter Nights 2. I will attempt to update this blog as often as possible, though I'm going to steer clear of discussing plot points.

As a quick outline, the module is set in the city of Darthall, a moderate sized city located a little off the normal trading routes, nestled between Mt Pada and Lake Gynnai. The module is set entirely within the bounds of the city, with the player becoming embroiled in plots and dangers inside the gates.

Story and player choices are key to the journey through Darthall, and while the player's alignment will be affected by their choices, many decisions will have ramifications beyond those immediately noticeable.

Currently, Fate Of A City is expected to be finished around the end of March, though given this is a one person project, and game project to boot, it is highly likely that the release will be delayed due to design refinement, scope creep and playtesting/bugfixing.

To finish my first post, I'd like to show some shots of the Market Plaza, one of the four key districts of the city. Like every project, there's bound to be some iterative development as the plans and design are tweaked, and the market area is a perfect example of how an area can grow.

Please keep in mind when looking at the screenshots below that I've taken them in the toolset, and have posted them in a lower quality for size reasons. (I'll likely post high quality shots in the future). Disclaimer aside, have a look at the Darthall Market Plaza in its first incarnation.

When I first did this, I was fairly happy, though after a little while I started to notice significant defects in the design. I mean, after all, this is a fairly well trodden area, a bustling hub of activity and general thoroughfare to get around the city. As a result, I felt it needed a lot more wear and tear... as can be seen below.

I hope you agree that the second looks a lot more like a well used city bazaar.

5 comments:

Wyrin said...

second shot looks much more realistic - especially for a market place just off a mountain road leading to the city.

Note you can use the color tool in terrain as well as textures to create a 'dirty' feel

Anonymous said...

I agree, the second shot looks much more realistic

- :) :) :) :) :) :)

Nalencer said...

I dig those shots, man. I look forward to playing your mod.

Unknown said...

Yeah, second image looks far more realistic than the first. It's looking like it will be a great mod!

lora_m said...

The second shot is much better. However if I were you I'd lose the large tree halfway up the hill. When you see trees on hillsides or hilltops IRL, they are often sparse, windblown shrubby things, such as stunted hawthorns. So if you're going to replace, do it with something more scrubby and smaller.