Saturday, February 23, 2008

Status Update 23-Feb: Release Dates... aren't

A little while ago I drew up a new schedule for my work on the project, as I've found I don't have enough hours in the day to do everything I'd like/need to do and stick to my first (somewhat ambitious) schedule. So, apologies to all those people who were waiting/expecting for it to be released at the end of next month. If all goes according to my new schedule (which it has been so far), then the projected release date will be the end of April. However, just to make sure that this is a high quality module, I'd like to set my sights on a release at about mid-May. If things change, I'll be sure to keep everyone informed. On the plus side, this means you'll get to see more snippets before the module is released! (Yes, I know that's not much of a consolation)

In a related aside, I know release dates are annoying things for everyone, and gamers are always unhappy when release dates get pushed back. Yes, it would be nice if release dates could be accurate, but personally, I would much rather have a game delayed (for up to several months if necessary) to undergo serious playtesting rather than have a buggy, unbalanced or otherwise unenjoyable game experience 'on time'. Patches are a way of life for modern games, and that is a good thing, but sometimes they are used more as a crutch rather than a tool to fix totally unforeseeable circumstances. I won't name any titles in particular, but I'm sure many people have had an experience of a showstopper or near-showstopper in a product that is fixed scant weeks after a product is released. Then again, I may just be a grumpy gamer with a stickler for quality.

In terms of actual development, progress continues quite well. The tavern and Inn have been completed, and another store featuring a few choice beverages is undergoing construction. Expect there to be a few drinks for sale that have different effects when compared to your standard brews.

No comments: