Thursday, April 10, 2008

Status Update 10-Apr: Polish and Bugtesting

The past couple of days have been focussed on conversations and scripting, all to polish off another quest. 'Polish' being the operative word, because the past couple of days have been tweaking conversations, adding extra nodes so that characters react differently based on your previous encounters (if any) with them. While little touches like that are time consuming and make things take longer than planned, I enjoy making them, and I hope people enjoy seeing them in a game. However, on reflection, I think I could easily argue that such inclusions are perhaps done perfectly when they are not noticed by players, but that is another discussion entirely...

Various scripting nuances have taken up a bit of time, primarily because I've been testing them numerous times to see how I can possibly break them, and then coming up with ways to avoid those situations. While I've managed to avoid game-breaking scripting errors through my Neverwinter Nights experiences, I know that they have plagued and irritated other players, so I am attempting to avoid any such difficulties by testing my module thoroughly as I go. Hopefully no-one will come up with anything radically inventive that will cause errors!

I know screenshots have been light on for a while now, but there's been a few reasons for that, not the least of which is that I haven't really been doing that much area design in recent times! That said, there might be a few tidbits I can show soon without giving too much away.

No comments: