Friday, April 18, 2008

Status Update 18-Apr: Building the Background

This post isn't exactly a repeat of what I've posted on the forums, but there will be a few bits and pieces here and there that overlap. :-)

My time recently has been spent tweaking and testing, combined with a moderate amount of background writing. Most of this information will appear in books that will be scattered around various places in the city (no, there's no central library that acts as a repository for all knowledge!) and will provide a bit of background and setting for the city and the adventure in general. I'm a big believer in having a realistic and fleshed out environments, so I want to let the player experience that should they choose to scratch the surface behind the plot of the module. Most of the bits and pieces will tie in to the main plot somehow, but there's no need to feel as though you'll be lost if you don't go around trying to be the city librarian - it's there for your information, but it's not crucial to understanding the plot. (Though there might be one or two hidden bonuses you may acquire through being a scholar!)

The other thing I've been working on is a couple of interior areas. Here's one of the interiors I've been working on which has a bit more of a magical feel...

And here's the other, which is significantly darker and a bit more foreboding...


Also, I'd like your feedback on the poll that I put up this evening! The topic for decision is whether or not you like custom items! Would you like to see additional items/item blueprints put in that have their own unique attributes, abilities and backstory, or are you entirely content with the stock standard items that come with NWN/MotB? I've been contemplating developing some custom items for the adventure, but if people would rather see NPCs and the plot and other areas fleshed out more, I'll stick with the stock standard items that come with the game. Let me know, and I'll cater to your whims and tastes!

2 comments:

Amraphael said...

In my opinion there's fun to get my hands on a few well designed custom items with personality. They have to be few to stick out and feel important so I get that "Gosh I'm a really lucky guy, finding *that* sword"-feeling. I may be a material boy but some items (especially in Baldurs Gate) was as dear to me as several of my companions.

Great to see the work is moving in a pretty fast pace!

AmstradHero said...

True enough, amraphael! I remember treasuring Greywolf's sword from BG1 for one, and when I finally got a decent scimitar for Jaheira in BG2...